SunPower vs. LG Solar Panels
Learn the Difference from Our Lancaster Solar Company
When it comes to the type of solar panels you install for your home, you want to make sure you’re investing in the best. After all, you’re going to be depending on these panels to provide your home with clean, renewable power for years to come, so you want them to be reliable, durable, efficient, and backed up by the support of a revered manufacturer with a reputation for outstanding customer service.
Many people are familiar with LG, as they also make things like HD televisions, computer displays, and other household gadgets. While they are a popular solar panel manufacturer, however, are they the right choice for your home? SunPower panels have a number of advantages that LG customers don’t enjoy, and that means you should think twice before going with panels from the South Korean technology giant.
SunPower Equinox™ Solar Panels vs. LG Composite System
- SunPower: SunPower panels are made in right here in the U.S.A., and are installed by a company headquartered in the Silicon Valley, California. SunPower’s entire business exists in the solar energy industry.
- LG: LG is a $48 billion tech giant based in Seoul, South Korea that primarily focuses their manufacturing and development on televisions, displays, and other appliances. Solar is only a small segment of their business.
- SunPower: SunPower’s Equinox system is designed and engineered entirely by our company, including everything from the panels themselves to the inverter that powers your home to the software that controls your inverter. Everything is designed to work flawlessly with every other component in the system.
- LG: LG does not make inverters, controllers, mounting hardware, or engineer the software that controls their panels. They only make the panels that go on your home. This means a setup that may not be as cohesive or fluid as a SunPower system, meaning a possibly more difficult experience and a higher likelihood of system issues down the line.
- SunPower: SunPower’s panels are widely regarded as some of the most effective and reliable in the industry. Equinox panels are an industry leading 24.1% efficient, and show zero percent power loss due to hot and cold cycling as well as only two percent power loss due to humidity.
- LG: LG’s panels are only up to 21.1% efficient, a significant drop. Additionally, they lose up to 2.5% of their power from hot and cold cycling and lose up to 20% of their power with extensive humidity testing!
- SunPower: SunPower earned the best solar scorecard from the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition, scoring 97 out of 100 for environmental friendliness. The Equinox panels scored a perfect 10/10 for both panel toxicity and emissions transparency. Plus they comply with guidelines to eliminate toxic materials.
- LG: LG scored just 62 out of 100 on the same environmental friendliness test, and their composite panels scored zero out of ten in both their module toxicity and emissions transparency tests.
- SunPower: SunPower panels are backed by the industry’s best warranty: a complete 25-year protection over your entire system, including panels, inverter, and hardware. All parts are covered under one single warranty, backed exclusively by SunPower.
- LG: You will need up to four pass-through warranties to protect all of the core components of your system. LG panels are only backed by a 12-year manufacturer warranty through LG.
So in total, SunPower solar panel arrays have the following advantages over a comparable LG system:
- Better design and durability in reliability testing and field reporting
- Up to 25% better efficiency
- 100% better power loss in extreme heat and cold
- 10x better power loss in humidity
- One cohesive warranty to cover all parts, including inverter and controllers
- 13 years longer of a warranty on panels
- Built by a sustainable, eco-friendly manufacturer right here in the U.S.A.!
With so many advantages, the choice is clear. For the best solar array you can get for your home or business, look no further than SunPower.
Call the Lancaster solar experts from SunPower® by Energy Plus Solar today at (661) 577-4226 to schedule a consultation or speak with a member of our team and learn more!